Profile on Google Scholar
*Indicates student author
- Seto K, Galland G, McDonald A, Abolhassani A, Azmi K, Sinan H, Timmiss T, Bailey M, and Quentin Hanich. In review. A global analysis of allocation in transboundary tuna fisheries. Submitted to Ambio.
- Kourantidou M, Hoover C and Bailey M. In review. Indicators as boundary objects to integrate Inuit knowledge and western science for marine resource governance. Submitted to Arctic Science.
Books on the go
- Sumaila UR, Armitage D, Bailey M, and Cheung WCC. In preparation. Canada’s Oceans: Pathways to Sustainability in a Sea of Change. UBC Press
- Wills C and Bailey M. In press. Tuna trade-offs: Balancing profit and social benefits in one of the world’s largest fisheries. Fish and Fisheries.
- Andriamahefazafy M, Bailey M, Sinan H and Kull C. 2020 . The paradox of sustainable tuna fisheries in the Indian Ocean: Between visions of blue economy and realities of accumulation. Sustainability Science 15:79-85.
- Snook J, Akearok J, Palliser T, Hoover C, Cunsolo A, and Bailey M. 2020. “The opportunity for Inuit in the commercial fishery is pretty significant”: Enhancing fisheries co-management in the Eastern Arctic. Northern Public Affairs 6: 70-74.
- Bradford J, Bailey M and Filgueira R. 2020. Underwater community gardens? Exploring community-based marine aquaculture as a coastal resource management strategy in Nova Scotia, Canada. FACETS 5: 26-48.
- Tlusty M, Tyedmers P, Bailey M, … et al. 2019. Reframing the sustainable seafood narrative. Global Environmental Change 59: 101991.
- Stoll J, Bailey M, and Jonell M. 2019. Alternative pathways to sustainable seafood. Conservation Letters; e12683.
- Goodman AJ, Callaghan C, Bailey M, Walker T and Brillant S. 2019. A Ghostly Issue: Managing abandoned, lost and discarded lobster fishing gear in the Bay of Fundy in Eastern Canada. Ocean and Coastal Management 181.
- Packer H, Swartz W, Ota Y, and Bailey M. 2019. Corporate social responsibility (CSR) practices of the largest seafood suppliers in the wild capture fisheries sector: From vision to action. Sustainability 11(8): doi:10.3390/su11082254
- Weitzman J, and Bailey M. 2019. Communicating a risk controversy: Exploring the public discourse on net-pen aquaculture within Canadian media. Aquaculture 507: 172-183.
- Snook J, Akearok J, Pallier T, Hoover C*, Cunsolo A, and Bailey M. 2019. “The opportunity for Inuit in the commercial fishery is pretty significant”: Enhancing fisheries co-management in the Eastern Arctic. SSHRC Position Paper – Indigenous Research Capacity and Reconciliation Connection Grants Program. 20 pp.
- Sumaila R, Tai T, Lam VWY, Cheung, WWL, Bailey M, Cisneros-Montemayor A, Chen OL, and Gulati SS. 2019. Benefits to the Paris Agreement to ocean life, economies, and people. Science Advances 5(2): 1-9
- Borland M, and Bailey M. 2019. Benchmarking data of the Fair Trade USA Capture Fisheries Standard and the Marine Stewardship Council Fisheries Standard against the Food and Agricultural Organizations Voluntary Guidelines for Securing Small-Scale Fisheries. Data in Brief. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dib.2019.103850
- Borland M, and Bailey M. 2019. A tale of two standards: The case of the USA Fair Trade certified Maluku yellowfin tuna handline fishery. Marine Policy 100: 353-360. doi.org/10.1016/j.marpol.2018.12.004
- McIlveen S, Schnurr R, Auld G, Arnold S, Flett K, and Bailey M. 2019. Towards credibility of the Marine Stewardship Council. In Vogt M (ed) Sustainability Certification Schemes in the Agricultural and Natural Resource Sectors. Routledge.
- Hanich Q, Rotjan R, Aqorau T, Bailey M, Campbell B, Gray N, Gruby R, Hampton J, Ota Y, Parris H, Reid C, Sumaila UR, Swartz W. 2018. Unravelling the Blue Paradox: Incomplete analysis yields incorrect conclusions about Phoenix Island Protected Area closure. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1815600115
- Schiller L*, Bailey M, Jacquet J, and Sala, E. 2018. High seas fisheries play a negligible role in addressing global food security. Science Advances 4:8 (DOI: 10.1126/sciadv.aat8351)
- Bailey M, Packer H*, Schiller L*, and Tlusty M. The role of CSR in creating a Seussian approach to seafood sustainability. Fish and Fisheries 00:1–9 https://doi.org/10.1111/faf.12289
- Weitzman J* and Bailey M. 2018. Perceptions of aquaculture ecolabels: A multi-stakeholder analysis in Nova Scotia. Marine Policy 87: 12-22.
- Edmondson E*, Gerhartz Abraham A*, Bailey M, and Fanning L. Do legacy MPAs contribute to marine conservation in the US? Ocean Yearbook 32: 161-189.
- Bennet NJ, Kaplan-Hallam M*, … and Bailey, M. 2018. Coastal and Indigenous community access to marine resources and the ocean: A policy imperative for Canada. Marine Policy 87: 186-193.
- Yeeting A*, Weikard HP, Bailey M, Bush S and Ram-Bidesi V. 2018. Stabilising cooperation through pragmatic tolerance: The case of the Parties to the Nauru Agreement (PNA) tuna fishery. Regional Environmental Change 18(3): 885-897.
- Bailey M. 2018. What is the role of private governance in contemporary fisheries management? In The Future of Ocean Governance and Capacity Development: Essays in Honor of Elisabeth Mann Borgese (1918–2002). Brill Publishers.
- Bailey M. 2017. Shining a light on seafood mislabeling through respectful debate. Conservation Letters 10: 654-655. https://doi.org/10.1111/conl.12428
- VanderZwaag D, Bailey M and Shackell N. 2017. Fisheries management in the Gulf of Maine: Taking stock and charting future coordinates in the face of climate change. Ocean Yearbook 31.
- Bush S, Bailey M, van Zwieten P, Kochen M, Wiryawan B, Doddema A* and Mangunsong S. 2017. Private provision of public information in tuna fisheries. Marine Policy 77: 130-135.
- Duncan J and Bailey M. 2017. Food Secure Futures: Multidisciplinary Solutions. Routledge.
- Groeneveld R, Bush SR and Bailey M. 2007. Private governance of ocean resources. Handbook on the Economics and Management for Sustainable Oceans. Edward Elgar, p 416-428.
- Bailey M, Vestergaard N and Sumaila UR. 2017. Overcoming principal-agent problems in the governance of internationally shared fisheries. Game Theory Applications to Environmental Economics. World Scientific, p 1-27.
- Cisneros-Montemayor AM et al. 2016. Towards and integrated database of Canadian ocean resources: benefits, current states, and research gaps. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences10.1139/cjfas-2015-0573 1-10.
- Schiller* L, Mason* T, Govender R, Short* K, and Bailey M. 2016. The rise and relevance of private governance in Canada’s fisheries and aquaculture sectors. IUCN Policy Matters 21:92-108.
- Kossmann* C, Behagel J and Bailey M. 2016. Action and inertia in collaborative governance. Marine Policy 72:21-30.
- Bailey M and Egels-Zandèn N. 2016. Transparency for just seafood systems. Solutions 7(4): 66-73. Solutions_Bailey
- Bailey M, Miller* AMM, Bush SR, van Zwieten PAM and Wiryawan B. 2016. Closing the incentive gap: The role of public and private actors in managing Indonesia’s tuna fisheries. Journal of Environmental Policy and Planning 18(2): 141-160. JEPP_Indo
- Bailey M, Bush SR, Oosterveer P and Larastiti* L. 2016. Fishers, Fair Trade and finding middle ground. Fisheries Research 182: 59-68.
- Bailey M, Favaro B, Otto S, Charles A, Devillers R, Metaxas A, Tyedmers P, Ban NC, Mason* T, Hoover C, Duck TJ, Fanning L, Milley C, Cisneros-Montemayor AM, Pauly D, Cheung WWL, Cullis-Suzuki S, Teh L, and Sumaila UR. 2016. Canada at a crossroad: The imperative for realigning ocean policy with ocean science. Marine Policy 63: 53-60 Bailey et al. Crossroad
- Yeeting* A, Bush SR, Ram-Bidesi V, and Bailey M. 2016. Implications of new economic policy instruments for tuna management in the western and central Pacific. Marine Policy 63: 45-52. Yeeting et al.
- Bailey M, Bush SR, Miller* A and Kochen M. 2016. The role of traceability in transforming seafood governance in the global South. Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability 18: 25-32 COSUST
- Libre* SVD, van Voorn G, ten Broek G, Bailey M, Berentsen P and Bush SR. 2015. Understanding the persistence of high fishing effort in tuna purse seine fisheries – an agent-based modelling approach. Fisheries Research 172: 250-260 Libre et al.
- Bailey M, and Sumaila UR. 2015. Destructive fishing and fisheries enforcement in Eastern Indonesia. Marine Ecology Progress Series. 530: 195-211 MEPS paper
- Hanich Q, Campbell B, Bailey M and Molenaar E. 2015. Research into fisheries equity and fairness – addressing conservation burden concerns in transboundary fisheries. Marine Policy 51: 302-304. FERN Paper Marine Policy
- Bush SR, Oosterveer P, Bailey M and Mol A. 2014. Sustainability governance of chains and networks: A review and future outlook. Journal of Cleaner Production 107:8-19. GVC
- Bush SR, van Zwieten PAM and Bailey M. 2013. BESTTuna: Benefiting from equitable and sustainable trans-boundary tuna in the Western Pacific. Australian Journal of Maritime and Oceans Affairs 5(3): 104-111. Bush et al AJMOA
- Christian C, Ainley D, Bailey M, Dayton P, Hocevar J, LeVine M, Nikoloyuk J, Nouvian C, Velarde E, Werner R and Jacquet J. 2013. Not “the best environmental choice in seafood”: A response to Gutiérrez and Agnew (2013). Biological Conservation 165: 214-215. Christian et al BioCons
- Christian C, Ainley D, Bailey M, Dayton P, Hocevar J, LeVine M, Nikoloyuk J, Nouvian C, Velarde E, Werner R and Jacquet J. 2013. A review of formal objections to Marine Stewardship Council fisheries certifications. Biological Conservation 161: 10-17. Christian et al BioCons2013
- Ishimura G and Bailey M. 2013. The market value of freshness: Observations from the swordfish and blue shark longline fishery in Kesennuma, Japan. Fisheries Science79(3): 547-553. Ishimura and Bailey
- Bailey M, Ishimura G, Paisley R and Sumaila UR. 2013. Moving beyond catch in allocation approaches for internationally shared fish stocks. Marine Policy 40: 124-136. Bailey et al Mar Pol
- Hoover C, Bailey M, Higdon J, Ferguson S and Sumaila UR. 2013. Estimating the value of narwhal and beluga hunts in Hudson Bay, Nunavut. Arctic 60(1): 1-16. Hoover et al Arctic
- Bailey M, Sumaila UR and Martell SJD. 2013. Can cooperative management of tuna in the Pacific solve the growth overfishing problem? Strategic Behavior and the Environment 3(1-2): 31-66. Bailey et al SBE
- Bailey M, Flores J, Pokajam S and Sumaila UR. 2012. Towards better management of Coral Triangle tuna. Ocean and Coastal Management 63: 30-42. Bailey et al CT tuna
- Bailey M, Sumaila UR and Lindroos M. 2010. Application of game theory to fisheries over three decades. Fisheries Research 102: 1-8. Bailey et al GameTheory Review
- Bailey M, Quaatey S, Armah AK, Jacquet J, Khan A, Alder J and Sumaila UR. 2010. Meeting socioeconomic objectives in Ghana’s sardinella fishery. In D.M. Nanang and T.K. Nunifu (Eds) Natural Resources in Ghana: Management, Policy and Economics. Nova Publishers. Ghana Sardinella
- Ishimura G and Bailey M. 2010. Defining sustainability of fishery resources. Sustainability Science, Vol. 1. United Nations University Press. Tokyo, Japan.Sustainability Science
- Bailey M, Rotinsulu C and Sumaila UR. 2008. The migrant anchovy fishery in Kabui Bay, Raja Ampat, Indonesia: Catch, profitability and income distribution. Marine Policy 32: 483-488. Bailey et al anchovy
- Bailey M, Petrie S and Badzinski S. 2008. Diets of mute swans in lower Great Lakes coastal marshes. Journal of Wildlife Management 72(3): 726-732. Bailey et al Mute swan
- Bailey M. 2014. Review of B.C.’s angling and licence options and analysis of future directions. Prepared for Freshwater Fisheries Society of B.C. 25 pp.
- Bailey M and Sumaila UR. 2013. Freshwater angling and the BC economy (abridged version). Prepared for Freshwater Fisheries Society of B.C. 54 pp. Report
- Bailey M. 2012. Europe’s reduction fisheries. Prepared for BLOOM Association. 49 pp.
- Sumaila UR and Bailey M. 2011. Sequential fishing of western central Pacific Ocean tuna stocks. Fisheries Centre Working Paper 2011-02. Paper
- Munro G, Turris B, Clark C, Sumaila UR and Bailey M. 2009. Impact of Harvesting Rights in Canadian Pacific Fisheries, Statistical and Economic Analysis Series, No 1-3, ISSN 1921-877X. Ottawa, Fisheries and Oceans Canada. DFO_N01-3_eng
- Bailey M and Sumaila UR. 2008. Towards ecosystem-based management in the Bird’s Head functional seascape of Papua, Indonesia: The economic sub-project. Chapter 2 in Bailey M and Pitcher TJ. (Eds) Ecological and economic analyses of marine ecosystems in the Bird’s Head seascape, Papua, Indonesia: II. Fisheries Centre Research Reports 16(1): 186 pp. Report
- Bailey M and Sumaila UR. 2008. Destructive fishing in Raja Ampat, Indonesia: An applied principal-agent analysis. Chapter 3 in Bailey, M., and Pitcher, T.J. (Eds) Ecological and economic analyses of marine ecosystems in the Bird’s Head seascape, Papua, Indonesia: II. Fisheries Centre Research Reports 16(1): 186 pp. Report
- Bailey, M. 2010. Ecosystem-Based Management for the Oceans by K. McLeod and H. Leslie (Eds.). 2009, Island Press. Oryx International Journal of Conservation 44(2), p. 304-305.
- Bailey M. 2012. Improving the management of regional and global tuna fisheries. Doctoral Thesis, University of British Columbia. Thesis
- Bailey M. 2007. Economic analysis of unregulated and illegal fishing in Raja Ampat, Indonesia. Masters Thesis, University of British Columbia. MSc Thesis
- Bailey M. 2003. Diets of mute swans in lower Great Lakes coastal Marshes. Bachelors Thesis. University of Western Ontario.
- Bailey M. 2015. Local fish, seafood deserve Nova Scotian’s buck. Chronicle Herald December 15.
- Bailey M. 2015. Where have all the sustainable tuna gone? Food Governance November 12.
- Bailey M. 2012. On the disconnect between fisheries and conservation sciences.FishBytes 17(6).
- Bailey M. 2012. The threat of growth overfishing. Fishing News International. February, page 14.
- Bailey M., 2012. A life sentence for bigeye and yellowfin tuna. February 7, atuna.com.
- Bailey M. 2011. Fisheries science summer reading. FishBytes 17(3).
- Bailey M. 2011. Dr Daniel Bromley asks if fisheries policy is pertinent at the 10th Larkin Lecture. FishBytes 17(2).
- Bailey M and Swartz W. 2010. Getting out of the office and onto the fishing grounds.FishBytes 16(5).
- Bailey M. 2010. All about bycatch at the 61st Tuna Conference. FishBytes 16(3).
- Bailey M. 2009. Global games: FAME hosts game theory workshop. Sea Around Us Project, Issue 53.
- Bailey M and Sumaila UR. 2008. Power in diversity: Bringing people together and putting ideas out. SeaAround Us Newsletter, Issue 49.
- Bailey M and Ishimura G. 2007. 2007 NAAFE Conference in Merida, Mexico.FishBytes 13(2).
- Bailey M. 2006. Meeting fishers in Raja Ampat, Indonesia: perspectives of a new economist. Fishbytes 12(2).