Profile on Google Scholar
*Indicates student author
- Schiller L*, Bailey M, Jacquet J, and Sala, E. Submitted. Food security does not come from high seas fish. Science Advances.
- Packer H*, Swartz W, Bailey M, and Ota Y. Submitted. Corporate Social Responsibility in the Seafood Industry: a review of the top 150 grossing companies and outlook on future research. Fish and Fisheries.
- Bailey M, Packer H, Schiller L, and Tlusty M. The role of CSR in creating a Seussian approach to seafood sustainability. Fish and Fisheries.
- Edmonson E*, Gerhartz Abraham A*, Bailey M, and Fanning L. Do legacy MPAs contribute to marine conservation in the US? Ocean Yearbook.
- Bennet NJ, Kaplan-Hallam M, … and Bailey, M. 2018. Coastal and Indigenous community access to marine resources and the ocean: A policy imperative for Canada. Marine Policy 87: 186-193.
- VanderZwaag D, Bailey M and Shackell N. 2017. Fisheries management in the Gulf of Maine: Taking stock and charting future coordinates in the face of climate change. Ocean Yearbook 31.
- Yeeting A*, Weikard HP, Bailey M, Bush S and Ram-Bidesi V. In press. Improving state governance and cooperation for the PNA tuna fishery : the case of the Vessel Day Scheme. Submitted to Regional Environmental Change.
- Bush S, Bailey M, van Zwieten P, Kochen M, Wiryawan B, Doddema* A and Mangunsong S. 2017. Private provision of public information in tuna fisheries. Marine Policy 77: 130-135.
- Cisneros-Montemayor AM et al. 2016. Towards and integrated database of Canadian ocean resources: benefits, current states, and research gaps. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences10.1139/cjfas-2015-0573 1-10.
- Schiller* L, Mason* T, Govender R, Short* K, and Bailey M. 2016. The rise and relevance of private governance in Canada’s fisheries and aquaculture sectors. IUCN Policy Matters 21:92-108.
- Kossmann* C, Behagel J and Bailey M. 2016. Action and inertia in collaborative governance. Marine Policy 72:21-30.
- Bailey M and Egels-Zandèn N. 2016. Transparency for just seafood systems. Solutions 7(4): 66-73. Solutions_Bailey
- Bailey M, Miller* AMM, Bush SR, van Zwieten PAM and Wiryawan B. 2016. Closing the incentive gap: The role of public and private actors in managing Indonesia’s tuna fisheries. Journal of Environmental Policy and Planning 18(2): 141-160. JEPP_Indo
- Bailey M, Bush SR, Oosterveer P and Larastiti* L. 2016. Fishers, Fair Trade and finding middle ground. Fisheries Research 182: 59-68.
- Bailey M, Favaro B, Otto S, Charles A, Devillers R, Metaxas A, Tyedmers P, Ban NC, Mason* T, Hoover C, Duck TJ, Fanning L, Milley C, Cisneros-Montemayor AM, Pauly D, Cheung WWL, Cullis-Suzuki S, Teh L, and Sumaila UR. 2016. Canada at a crossroad: The imperative for realigning ocean policy with ocean science. Marine Policy 63: 53-60 Bailey et al. Crossroad
- Yeeting* A, Bush SR, Ram-Bidesi V, and Bailey M. 2016. Implications of new economic policy instruments for tuna management in the western and central Pacific. Marine Policy 63: 45-52. Yeeting et al.
- Bailey M, Bush SR, Miller* A and Kochen M. 2016. The role of traceability in transforming seafood governance in the global South. Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability 18: 25-32 COSUST
- Libre* SVD, van Voorn G, ten Broek G, Bailey M, Berentsen P and Bush SR. 2015. Understanding the persistence of high fishing effort in tuna purse seine fisheries – an agent-based modelling approach. Fisheries Research 172: 250-260 Libre et al.
- Bailey M, and Sumaila UR. 2015. Destructive fishing and fisheries enforcement in Eastern Indonesia. Marine Ecology Progress Series. 530: 195-211 MEPS paper
- Hanich Q, Campbell B, Bailey M and Molenaar E. 2015. Research into fisheries equity and fairness – addressing conservation burden concerns in transboundary fisheries. Marine Policy 51: 302-304. FERN Paper Marine Policy
- Bush SR, Oosterveer P, Bailey M and Mol A. 2014. Sustainability governance of chains and networks: A review and future outlook. Journal of Cleaner Production 107:8-19. GVC
- Bush SR, van Zwieten PAM and Bailey M. 2013. BESTTuna: Benefiting from equitable and sustainable trans-boundary tuna in the Western Pacific. Australian Journal of Maritime and Oceans Affairs 5(3): 104-111. Bush et al AJMOA
- Christian C, Ainley D, Bailey M, Dayton P, Hocevar J, LeVine M, Nikoloyuk J, Nouvian C, Velarde E, Werner R and Jacquet J. 2013. Not “the best environmental choice in seafood”: A response to Gutiérrez and Agnew (2013). Biological Conservation 165: 214-215. Christian et al BioCons
- Christian C, Ainley D, Bailey M, Dayton P, Hocevar J, LeVine M, Nikoloyuk J, Nouvian C, Velarde E, Werner R and Jacquet J. 2013. A review of formal objections to Marine Stewardship Council fisheries certifications. Biological Conservation 161: 10-17. Christian et al BioCons2013
- Ishimura G and Bailey M. 2013. The market value of freshness: Observations from the swordfish and blue shark longline fishery in Kesennuma, Japan. Fisheries Science79(3): 547-553. Ishimura and Bailey
- Bailey M, Ishimura G, Paisley R and Sumaila UR. 2013. Moving beyond catch in allocation approaches for internationally shared fish stocks. Marine Policy 40: 124-136. Bailey et al Mar Pol
- Hoover C, Bailey M, Higdon J, Ferguson S and Sumaila UR. 2013. Estimating the value of narwhal and beluga hunts in Hudson Bay, Nunavut. Arctic 60(1): 1-16. Hoover et al Arctic
- Bailey M, Sumaila UR and Martell SJD. 2013. Can cooperative management of tuna in the Pacific solve the growth overfishing problem? Strategic Behavior and the Environment 3(1-2): 31-66. Bailey et al SBE
- Bailey M, Flores J, Pokajam S and Sumaila UR. 2012. Towards better management of Coral Triangle tuna. Ocean and Coastal Management 63: 30-42. Bailey et al CT tuna
- Bailey M, Sumaila UR and Lindroos M. 2010. Application of game theory to fisheries over three decades. Fisheries Research 102: 1-8. Bailey et al GameTheory Review
- Bailey M, Rotinsulu C and Sumaila UR. 2008. The migrant anchovy fishery in Kabui Bay, Raja Ampat, Indonesia: Catch, profitability and income distribution. Marine Policy 32: 483-488. Bailey et al anchovy
- Bailey M, Petrie S and Badzinski S. 2008. Diets of mute swans in lower Great Lakes coastal marshes. Journal of Wildlife Management 72(3): 726-732. Bailey et al Mute swan
- Bailey M. In press. Review of B.C.’s angling and licence options and analysis of future directions. Prepared for Freshwater Fisheries Society of B.C. 25 pp.
- Bailey M and Sumaila UR. 2013. Freshwater angling and the BC economy (abridged version). Prepared for Freshwater Fisheries Society of B.C. 54 pp. Report
- Bailey M. 2012. Europe’s reduction fisheries. Prepared for BLOOM Association. 49 pp.
- Sumaila UR and Bailey M. 2011. Sequential fishing of western central Pacific Ocean tuna stocks. Fisheries Centre Working Paper 2011-02. Paper
- Munro G, Turris B, Clark C, Sumaila UR and Bailey M. 2009.Impacts of Harvesting Rights in Canadian Pacific Fisheries, Statistical and Economic Analysis Series, No 1-3, ISSN 1921-877X. Ottawa, Fisheries and Oceans Canada. Report
- Bailey M and Sumaila UR. 2008. Towards ecosystem-based managementin the Bird’s Head functional seascape of Papua, Indonesia: The economic sub-project. Chapter 2 in Bailey M and Pitcher TJ. (Eds) Ecological and economic analyses of marine ecosystems in the Bird’s Head seascape, Papua, Indonesia: II. Fisheries Centre Research Reports 16(1): 186 pp. Report
- Bailey M and Sumaila UR. 2008. Destructive fishing in Raja Ampat, Indonesia: An applied principal-agent analysis. Chapter 3 in Bailey, M., and Pitcher, T.J. (Eds) Ecological and economic analyses of marine ecosystems in the Bird’s Head seascape, Papua, Indonesia: II. Fisheries Centre Research Reports 16(1): 186 pp. Report
- Groeneveld R, Bush SR and Bailey M. 2007. Private governance of ocean resources. Handbook on the Economics and Management for Sustainable Oceans. Edward Elgar, p 416-428.
- Bailey M, Vestergaard N and Sumaila UR. 2017. Overcoming principal-agent problems in the governance of internationally shared fisheries. Game Theory Applications to Environmental Economics. World Scientific, p 1-27.
- Bailey M, Quaatey S, Armah AK, Jacquet J, Khan A, Alder J and Sumaila UR. 2010. Meeting socioeconomic objectives in Ghana’s sardinella fishery. In D.M. Nanang and T.K. Nunifu (Eds) Natural Resources in Ghana: Management, Policy and Economics. Nova Publishers. Ghana Sardinella
- Ishimura G and Bailey M. 2010. Defining sustainability of fishery resources. Sustainability Science, Vol. 1. United Nations University Press. Tokyo, Japan.Sustainability Science
- Bailey, M. 2010. Ecosystem-Based Management for the Oceans by K. McLeod and H. Leslie (Eds.). 2009, Island Press. Oryx International Journal of Conservation 44(2), p. 304-305.
- Bailey M. 2012. Improving the management of regional and global tuna fisheries. Doctoral Thesis, University of British Columbia. Thesis
- Bailey M. 2007. Economic analysis of unregulated and illegal fishing in Raja Ampat, Indonesia. Masters Thesis, University of British Columbia. MSc Thesis
- Bailey M. 2003. Diets of mute swans in lower Great Lakes coastal Marshes. Bachelors Thesis. University of Western Ontario.
- Bailey M. 2015. Local fish, seafood deserve Nova Scotian’s buck. Chronicle Herald December 15.
- Bailey M. 2015. Where have all the sustainable tuna gone? Food Governance November 12.
- Bailey M. 2012. On the disconnect between fisheries and conservation sciences.FishBytes 17(6).
- Bailey M. 2012. The threat of growth overfishing. Fishing News International. February, page 14.
- Bailey M., 2012. A life sentence for bigeye and yellowfin tuna. February 7, atuna.com.
- Bailey M. 2011. Fisheries science summer reading. FishBytes 17(3).
- Bailey M. 2011. Dr Daniel Bromley asks if fisheries policy is pertinent at the 10th Larkin Lecture. FishBytes 17(2).
- Bailey M and Swartz W. 2010. Getting out of the office and onto the fishing grounds.FishBytes 16(5).
- Bailey M. 2010. All about bycatch at the 61st Tuna Conference. FishBytes 16(3).
- Bailey M. 2009. Global games: FAME hosts game theory workshop. Sea Around Us Project, Issue 53.
- Bailey M and Sumaila UR. 2008. Power in diversity: Bringing people together and putting ideas out. SeaAround Us Newsletter, Issue 49.
- Bailey M and Ishimura G. 2007. 2007 NAAFE Conference in Merida, Mexico.FishBytes 13(2).
- Bailey M. 2006. Meeting fishers in Raja Ampat, Indonesia: perspectives of a new economist. Fishbytes 12(2).